Last Updated 4.4.23
After reviewing all of the scary future consequences concerning the 12 major challenges of our future found on the Universe Spirt and Job One for Humanity websites, it is only fair to wonder if...
Our focus is education and engaged social activism. However, we are wisely helping to prepare others for the unavoidably painful road ahead created by our previous individual and collective bad decisions.
We also are not techno-optimists or techno-delusionists. We do not believe that magical carbon-sucking unicorns, desperate last-chance geo-engineering, or other delusional techno-miracles will not save us in time or without even worse side effects.
If you must give us a label, you can call us, in part, progressive eco-preppers seeking to create a new model of sustainable eco-communities that live the values and actions that will help rebuild a world of far improved justice and equality for ALL. We are trying to create what will be needed solutions for the world that will survive after we have passed through the hard times ahead.
We do not support the growing premise that total human extinction sometime over the rest of this century is a certainty. Click here to see why total extinction is not probable.
The qualified truth is that --- only if we do not come close to the 2025 global fossil fuel reduction targets will the likelihood of near-total human extinction rise to an urgent threat level. Furthermore, near-total extinction in this worst-case will take at least another 50-70 years to begin its final phases.
Therefore, all is not lost --- yet! We have some time left (to about 2025) to make critical global fossil fuel reductions.
On the other hand, it is also essential to be candid that many horrendous global warming and other related consequences are already "baked into" our global systems, which are now unavoidable! These many "baked in" consequences will also eventually cause the inevitable die-off of about half of humanity by mid-century.
Because of this cascade of unavoidable coming consequences, we also face the widespread and intensifying collapse of many of our weakest local, regional, and national social and economic systems as we approach the mid-century.
Yes, we face the largest evolutionary challenge in humanity's long history of great survival challenges.
Managing the 12 worst global crises will require nothing less than radical changes to our lifestyles and livelihoods. At the same time, we also will have to vigorously prepare for and adapt to the catastrophic consequences we can no longer prevent.
To learn more about the radical changes in our livelihoods and lifestyles needed to survive and thrive through the coming consequences and post-collapse era, click here first and read about the principles of sustainable prosperity. Next, click the following links to see Part 1 and Part 2 of the Job One for Humanity Plan, which will provide detailed emergency preparation and adaptation steps.
Next, click here to review the four models of sustainable eco-communities we are helping to build worldwide.
Do not mistake us for some survivalist or apocalyptic community concerning our research on the current out-of-control global warming and the other 11 major converging global adaptive challenges facing our collective future.
Our message is simple, proactive, and not the doomer or similar fatalistic messages:
1. "We are a community of activists that believes in learning from our mistakes, being prepared, and being adaptable is a wise evolutionary strategy.
2. We, as humans, are intelligent and adaptive beings, and we can solve or adapt to almost anything.
3. Life on Earth has always found a way to learn, adapt, and survive so. In the last 4.5 billion years of Earth's evolution, life has survived five previous mass extinctions. (See this page for more on life's astonishing evolutionary success.)
4. The future is unknown and full of unpredictable negative and positive wild cards. This means that there is still hope for some part of humanity and our civilization to survive if we quickly execute responsible, intelligent, and effective adaptive actions that will resolve our most pressing global challenges using a "first things first" strategy.
5. When we or future generations do get through our current 12 major global challenges, we will have built something new together that is far better adapted and suitable for achieving a positive and sustainable future for ALL.
6. Despite the rough road ahead, we can still fully enjoy each day (as best as we can, even despite the worsening of these 12 global challenges.)
7. Working together in new sustainable communities (like our Universe Spirit Eco-community model,) we can make our lives as happy and as good as they will get during this temporary retrogression and transition period. And finally,
8. Overcoming this emergency will help us better solve our challenges as one effective and united human family. This experience also will teach us and help us to live the Universe Principles of progressive evolution and sustainable prosperity.
Do not doubt that humanity has reached a monumental evolutionary juncture and we are running out of time to prevent the eventual near-total extinction of humanity. Only a comprehensive mass mobilization by our governments can lessen the coming suffering and save the future.
In our organization, we see ourselves as a new evolutionary eco-community of Evolutioneers and Planetary and Universe Citizens that value the historical wisdom of appropriate threat preparedness and living sustainably to model the new world we want to live in. We are not fear-manipulated or fear-dominated, but we do not ignore data that should trigger positive, protective, and appropriate evolutionary fear reactions.
We will always use the appropriate and positive evolutionary fear warning feedback contained within accurate but survival-negative information to wisely anticipate, prepare, and quickly adapt. We know that it is better to act and save something than not to act and lose everything!
We are not doomers, post-doomers, or preppers who have given up on the future and are living in hiding or resignation. We are sustainability activists still full of hope that we can:
1. face the true urgency of all of our current 12 global crises, resolve what we can, and adapt to what we can't.
2. create the new eco-community model needed for the new behaviors and systems that will resolve today's biggest global problems and become a global basis of a better world for ALL.
Yes, we are also preparing new sustainable eco-communities for this human-created crisis and this temporary and transitional "evolutionary bottleneck and retrogression." We are doing this solely because the facts clearly show that many of our global systems are in a severe challenge or nearing critical tipping points with no or low remaining recovery resilience.
To the discerning evaluator and researcher, both human history and the current worsening 12 global challenges indicate that our lives will continue to get worse with little realistic hope of correction until the chain reaction of cascading multiple global catastrophes and crossed tipping points shake us awake to the need for drastic evolutionary change toward more sustainable livelihoods and lifestyles.
We hold that the main unrecognized threats for today and the future are that:
1. other than nuclear war, the main accelerator and driver of humanity's near-total extinction is now global warming.
2. the world still does not realize that when the climate system goes over its extinction-triggering tipping points, there is nothing you can do to stop the physics and mathematics of the consequences of those tipping points from manifesting their deadly consequences. (How soon we will cross the extinction-triggering global warming tipping points is described here.)
Once you realize the hard reality of where we are...
Keeping our dangerous global threats in an appropriate time perspective is also critical to avoid counter-productive panic. Depending on your current location, you should still have enough time to prepare for and adapt to the myriad of now unavoidable global warming consequences. It is wholly appropriate to feel fear at this dangerous juncture in the evolution of humanity because of the many known consequences of accelerating global warming and the worsening of these 11 additional global crises.
While generalized fear or panic often paralyzes, there are positive evolutionary reasons why the emotion of fear exists. The positive use of fear exists for those times when there are REAL threats to your survival. Positive fear mobilizes the observant and wise to act before it is too late!
To support the positive and wise use of fear relating to global warming and other consequences (from these 11 other global crises,) click here to review the most up-to-date consequence timeframes to use in your survive and thrive planning.
The good timeline news here is simple. If we, at least, get close to the 2025 global fossil fuel reduction targets, we can still prevent near-total human extinction. If we do not, we begin crossing too many additional extinction-triggering tipping points far too fast to prevent the very worst consequences of runaway global warming, multiplying the worsening effects of the other 11 major global crises.
We believe that it is important not to hide these reasonable and rational facts and high probabilities.
We believe there is a real urgency to prepare for what is soon unavoidable.
We are not detached survivalists. We have engaged sustainability advocates, progressive eco-preppers and eco-community builders, and Evolutioneers, and Planetary Citizens.
We can make it through this great evolutionary transition period, capture the once-in-a-generation opportunity from the coming collective catharsis, and then use that motivational energy for change to make long-overdue and critically needed improvements to our social systems!
We can rebuild our social systems based upon sustainable and limited growth for ALL vs. the cancer-like concepts of uncontrolled growth or unlimited growth for the few.
We believe in whole-heartedly working for the best possible future while at the same time wisely being prepared for the worst possible temporary human transition period.
We can fully prepare for the worst and then "forget" about those preparations while focusing and wholeheartedly working for the best!
We can hold that actively saving all we can is far better than inactively saving nothing.
We can hold that some of us will prepare, adapt, survive and thrive once again if we act wisely. We should not give up the appropriate amount of rational hope that remains.
The history of life evolving on Earth strongly supports the premise that some of us will survive. (See this page for the big-picture view of evolution on Earth.)
We envision that establishing new sustainable eco-communities worldwide will play an essential role in securing humanity's long-term survival and establishing the new sustainable prosperity for ALL vision for the post-widespread collapse world.
We will deal with our 12 global challenges by using only peaceful and evolutionary means.
No matter how bad it gets, we can still find daily enjoyment and joy in our relationships and life experiences.
We can together create a long-term future for humanity and our civilization. And, if we are wise and work together, someday we or our children will successfully evolve both here on Earth and eventually out into the stars.
And finally, even if the accelerating global warming emergency and the convergence of it with humanity's 11 other key global challenges were somehow resolved in the next 30 to 50 years or turned out to be not as bad as currently is predicted by our best scientists, the new sustainable eco-communities which we are co-creating would function even better and more joyously on their other main goals of helping to co-create the necessary restructuring and re-alignment of society to create:
a,) a sustainable prosperity for ALL of humanity,
b.) a just and equitable civilization,
c.) thriving and meaning-filled individuals and eco-communities --- all of which align with and forward the progressive evolution of life in the universe.
For the last 12 years, our organization has been working on a plan called the Job One for Humanity Plan. It is called that because that is precisely what it is; humanity's job number one to survive and thrive.
The good news is that if we want to survive and lessen the coming suffering, we must execute this plan (or something like it) NOW.
For additional support and evaluation
1. Please use the 40-plus warning signs found on this page to monitor the worsening of our 12 major global crises. Print them out. Watch for the news to see them unfold one-by-one until we take full responsibility for the mess we have created by our individual and collective bad decisions.
2. If you need help processing the facts on this page emotionally, we have two pages to get you through the typical reactions of anger, grief, denial, sadness, etc. The first page covers the challenging emotional process that most people will go through after realizing that we provide an accurate, big-picture view of their future risks and probabilities.